This civilian position primarily supports the Chief of Police that requires a high degree of confidentiality and performs a full range of secretarial and clerical functions for the Police Department. Must have the ability to take initiative and work in an unsupervised environment as needed and make decisions regarding prioritization of projects, practices and processes. Interested parties should forward their resume to Allan W. Kurylka, Chief of Police email@example.com and CC: Melissa Gustafson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications can be picked up at Police headquarters, 27 Second Street, Frenchtown, NJ, Monday through Friday, between 9am to 2pm. Direct questions to 908-996-2341
Responsibilities and Duties
- Entering information into various computer systems.
- Placing, answering and screening telephone calls.
- Maintaining calendars
- Formatting, typing and proofreading correspondence, memos, reports, forms, and manuals. Composing routine correspondence for Chief of Police and officers as necessary. Assisting with the completion of forms and mailing of forms and correspondence.
- Organizing and maintaining a variety of department files and records. (SOP’s, etc.)
- Photocopying, collating, distributing and filing written materials.
- Gathering, organizing and copying pertinent information for the Prosecuting and Defense Attorney’s Offices in the preparation of cases for trial. (Discovery)
- Gathering, organizing and copying pertinent information for OPRA (Open Public Records Act) requests.
- Preparing outgoing mail.
- Recordkeeping of sensitive internal investigative files.
- Ordering and maintaining office supplies and police forms and materials.
- Assisting in the preparation of annual Police Department budget. Assisting and coordinating with, Chief of Police and others on up-to-date status of department budget.
- Assisting with the preparation of statistics and reports of police calls and activity.
- Assisting the Chief of Police with weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Assisting citizens with forms, inquiries and processes relating to the Police Department.
- Creating and maintaining contact lists
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Police.
- Good communication and interpersonal relations skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrate efficiency in managing procurement records including purchase orders and inventory
- Proven experience as an administrative assistant,
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Working knowledge of office equipment, like printers and fax machines
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Word, HR Office, Excel and Police Department Records Management Programs, in particular)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance.
- Project positive support of the Chief of Police, the Police Department and the Borough of Frenchtown.
High school diploma, supplemented by strong clerical experience. Previous Police Department experience, a plus. Clean Criminal Background and Valid driver’s license with good driving record.